ALRTA’s Driver and Animal Welfare Committee met last week to consider proposals to change the Australian Animal Welfare Standards and Guidelines on Land Transport of Horses. The Australian Agriculture Ministers Forum has instigated a review with a consultation paper released in February 2021. TruckSafe has been working with ALRTA to help contribute to a response to this consultation paper.
Several changes are proposed affecting:
• Provision of water and rest during the journey;
• Record keeping;
• Prevention of heat stress;
• Fitness for the journey;
• Minimum age of foals for transport;
• Loading density and clearance;
• Mixing of animals for transport;
• Use of dogs; and
• Use of restraints.
If you transport horses and would like to be involved in the review please contact the ALRTA Secretariat via email@example.com.